My Little Corner of the World

Thoughts on raising and homeschooling a special needs child who has Aspergers, Tourettes, and ADHD. The life of a domestic goddess. Documenting the life of Superman (11 yrs) and Ladybug (4 yrs).

Thursday, March 02, 2006

This is me in all my beauty and with all my faults

This is me, in all my beauty and with all my faults....I love that line. I think it sums up what it is to be a mother, a woman, a partner. All the complex parts that make us whole.

I'm a 30 y.o, married Mum of two. My husband D, is my best friend and soulmate. My little guy "Superman" is 7. My daughter "ladybug" is 10 mos old.

I decided to start a blog so that I could document my journey as a mother of a special needs child. Superman is my 4 ft tall hero. He's a trooper, a little guy who keeps on truckin' no matter what is thrown at him.

So far, he's been identified as having Sensory Integration Dysfunction (SID). Basically every message that his brain receives from his senses isn't received the right way, which means the message that his brain sends back is incorrect and causes him to act inappropriately. Every single day is a struggle for him.

Superman falls somewhere on the autistic spectrum. Not sure where, but we'll get our answers in a couple of weeks when he has his assessment at the hospital.

I never know what the day will bring. Some days he wakes up the happiest boy in the world. Other days, everything sets him off. People are quick to judge. He's 7, why would he have a tantrum? You need to discipline him more, you need to teach him that the world doesn't revolve around him, you need to show him who's boss.... Boy, they couldn't be more wrong. He has a neurological disorder. Basically, they're asking him to override his brain. How on earth is that a reasonable request of a child? Or of anyone for that matter?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home