My Little Corner of the World

Thoughts on raising and homeschooling a special needs child who has Aspergers, Tourettes, and ADHD. The life of a domestic goddess. Documenting the life of Superman (11 yrs) and Ladybug (4 yrs).

Thursday, January 15, 2009

I'm missing Ladybug today

Today was the first day that Ladybug said she didn't want to go to school. So we got her ready and she crawled up on my lap and said she just missed me too much. That she would rather stay home, snuggle with me on the couch, and play with Superman inside the fort he built in the playroom. It's one of those things where you know that as soon as she's out the door, she'll be fine. But I miss her today.

Things are continuing to go extremely well with Superman at home. We've had a really good couple of days. We've added an exercise component to our plans. We use the stationary bike and the treadmill. I run for 10 mins while he bikes for 10 mins and then we swap. Er..he doesn't really run on the treadmill though. He puts it at a good incline, a good speed, and then does this sort of walk/run/look at me I'm doing the tango. I guess when there's good dance music pumpin he just can help himself but Dance. I think he has a bit of Ellen in him. She would be impressed ;)

Yesterday it was insanely cold (-29*C) so we did the ever popular "throw a cup of boiling water into the air and it turns to vapour before it hits the ground" trick. He thought I rocked when I came up with that little plan (thanks to Kevin Frankish on BT). Then we worked with electromagnetics. I got him a set for Christmas and we talked about circuits and he figured out how to set it up to turn on the light, the fan, make LED chasers. It was fascinating.

I don't recall if I mentioned this in previous posts, but Superman is technically in Grade 5, but I'm doing Grade 3 curriculum with him. The past 2 years have been crazy for him and I thought that if we work on Grade 3, I'll get a better idea of where he's at, but also because he's breezing through most of it and that gives him a good confidence boost. It also allows me to give him a solid foundation so that we can build on it from there.

Yesterday I was feeling a bit off so we were in our comfy clothes and decided to lay on the bed to do our Math and Reading Comp work. After awhile I told him he could have some free time and I was going to read for a bit. A few minutes later he came upstairs with lunch! He had made us turkey sandwiches with lettuce, cheese and ketchup. I was shocked! It was such a nice surprise.

Each morning he makes a cup of tea (today's choice was Chai) and sits on the stairs to watch Ladybug get ready for school. He always wishes her a happy day and says he'll miss her. To see him so quiet and relaxed is a wonderful thing.

1 Comments:

Blogger The J said...

Oh, what lovely images!!

8:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home