My Little Corner of the World

Thoughts on raising and homeschooling a special needs child who has Aspergers, Tourettes, and ADHD. The life of a domestic goddess. Documenting the life of Superman (11 yrs) and Ladybug (4 yrs).

Saturday, December 15, 2007

So the classroom is too overstimulating....

...but you can dress Superman up in a suit and tie and take him to a formal corporate Christmas dinner party and he's stellar for 4 straight hours. Imagine that! Last night was our company Christmas party and Superman was hands down the best kid there. He was amazing! Such great table manners, great with the other kids, fabulous dancer (have you ever seen an autistic white boy try to breakdance? 'Nuff said). He was golden!

We hired a magician and the kids sat for 45 mins to watch the show. They nearly peed themselves with laughter. He was fabulous. Both of my kids were picked to go up and do a trick with "Tricky Ricky" and they LOVED it. They were decked out in their fancy schmany clothes and we're so polite and happy. We didn't get home until 10:30pm. A late night for both of them but they definitely had a blast. I think they both loved the DJ best.

The past week at school was good. Ms. B (the new EA) is looking promising. She's different from Ms. S. She doesn't like hugs, feels more comfortable with high fives which Superman wasn't too impressed with but we had been talking lately about boundaries and I think it's a good thing. She's more strict (for lack of a better word) but still flexible and that's good for him. He seems to take to her and I really liked the feel I got from her.

He's loving school and I'm so proud of him for trying so hard to have good days even though Ms. D isn't there. He really does love school.

He had several climbing episodes this week and he was more emotional but I was expecting that. He's had a lot of changes to deal with and there has to be some fallout. Some place to let out his emotions.

Lately, he's felt like he's lost a lot. The two biggest players seem to be Mr. S and Ms. D. Both were very important people to him. Next month he goes back to his play therapist and I think that's good. Since Ms. D left he's had extreme separation anxiety. If I leave the house without him, he's okay in the beginning but then he flips out. Especially if I'm not home when he goes to bed. That's something we'll have to work on with his therapist.

But I have to say that I am so impressed, and I draw inspiration from, his ability to adapt and make the best of a situation.

In the Ladybug department - If the child is thirsty, why won't she ask me for a drink? Lately I've found her pulling the rabbit's water bottle off of her cage and drinking from that. Child! If you're thirsty, I will give you water! You don't need to swap spit with the rabbit!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm telling you, hit a Petland and get the kid her own rabbit bottle! LOL And, Yay, Superman! I'm glad he had a fun night without any stresses and worries!

5:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home