My Little Corner of the World

Thoughts on raising and homeschooling a special needs child who has Aspergers, Tourettes, and ADHD. The life of a domestic goddess. Documenting the life of Superman (11 yrs) and Ladybug (4 yrs).

Friday, March 24, 2006

Two steps back and one step forward

It's been awhile since I've had a chance to write. When my FIL passed away, my days became a blur.

Following the funeral, we went away for a week because Superman was off school. So we rented a cottage and headed north. What great timing for a getaway! It took us a few days to unwind but eventually I stopped "doing" and just started "being." My kids followed my lead and the transformation I saw in Superman was amazing.

He had a rough go of it when he lost his Grandpa. His little body couldn't process his own feelings let alone the feelings of everyone around him and he had a lot of meltdowns. Sometimes it felt like he was becoming a verbal punching bag from people who didn't understand his issues.

We finally got the official report from the Occupational Therapist last week. We all have seven senses and for the "normal" person they all work hand in hand with each other and allow us to function in a proper and efficient way. For Superman, only two of those senses work properly. The other five have severe defeciences. That basically stops him from being able to act appropriately in just about every situation. When do you NOT use your senses?

Now that the school has some concrete proof as to what some of his issues are, we can move forward. Every day that he has a rough time, it is a blow to his self esteem. Every morning he sets out to make it a "10 billion day" (why just go for 10! He aims high!) and if that doesn't happen and his brain puts him in positions he can't control, he is devastated.

Today was a 10 billion day. A teacher stopped me in the hall to say how amazing he was. She has no idea how that affected me. To finally have someone say "Yanno what. He's a good kid." Usually what I hear is my phone ringing saying "He's not coping well, please come and pick him up."

I think its a good life lesson to tell anyone in our life that how much we appreciate their efforts instead of saving our words for criticism.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home