My Little Corner of the World

Thoughts on raising and homeschooling a special needs child who has Aspergers, Tourettes, and ADHD. The life of a domestic goddess. Documenting the life of Superman (11 yrs) and Ladybug (4 yrs).

Monday, July 23, 2007

Camp Day #6

I told Superman's counsellor that he might be pretty tired today since he was up with the sun at 5:30am. But today was absolutely fabulous! I have to say I was pretty surprised. When he went to bed last night I asked him if he could work on a goal this week. The goal was that at every swim, he needs to get out of the pool when it's time without a pitch a fit, or an attempt to get back in. He told me he would try as hard as he could but sometimes his body doesn't like it because he loves swimming so much. We talked about how hard it is to have to stop doing something you love to go and do something that isn't as fun.

When he came home I checked out his communication book and here is the quick version of what his counsellor had to say:

~ Both swim transistions and changes we really well.
~ He had some great social interaction at the park.
~ There was a lot of great cooperation and understanding.
~ He didn't want to go to flagpole but they made a compromise that if he went and he was good, they would go to mini-golf when it was done. He went to flagpole and was great so they played mini golf afterwards.
~ He played one inning of cabin baseball and tried really hard.
~ Last activity of the day was land sports and he participated really well and even caught a few balls!

Talk about an amazing day! I know I keep saying this, but it's a huge change from last year. I love comparing year to year. The sports in particular surprised me because that's a whole new level of social interaction, concentration, sensory overload and it so wonderful that he did so well.

To celebrate Superman got to choose what meal I would cook tonight (he chose tacos) and before bed we shared a homemade ice-cream sundae with strawberries on top.

Yay Superman!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home