My Little Corner of the World

Thoughts on raising and homeschooling a special needs child who has Aspergers, Tourettes, and ADHD. The life of a domestic goddess. Documenting the life of Superman (11 yrs) and Ladybug (4 yrs).

Monday, July 16, 2007

School Wraps and Daycamp Day #1

School - We wrapped up the year on a very high note! I had to take a break from blogging because sometimes I go through a period where I just don't want to talk about Autism anymore. But it's been a fabulous couple of months. Superman is growing in leaps and bounds. He's doing better socially, personally and academically.

On a sad note we had to say goodbye to his teacher, Mr. S. Bittersweet goodbye. We'll keep in touch but Spencer was so sad. He still asks when Mr. S will be back but he likes Mr. MG who will be filling in next year. I've met him and I have good feelings about it.

Superman and I went away this past weekend just the two of us. I had grand plans to hang out and do our favourite things together. What I didn't expect was to have such mixed feelings about having Superman me with me and leaving Ladybug at home with Daddy. If I go away I either have both of them with me or I go on my own. This is the first time that they've been separated and Superman and I both felt it pretty much sucked. ;) We had a good time but we were so happy to come home!

Camp Day #1 - We're off to a fabulous start!! Superman got on the bus at 8am and held it together until 3:30pm when he started to unravel. He climbed to the top of the rock wall, made it across the entire trapeze wire on his own and even went all the way underwater without plugging his nose during swim lessons!!! I was so excited!

At 3:30pm all the kids were getting ready to head towards the buses to go home but I pick him up (bus rides at the end of the day have been tough in the past) so I think it was him soaking up the energy from the other kids and having 30 mins of idle time to himself that provoked it. I was told to pick him up at 4pm and when I gor there, it was Superman and three counsellors. He was climbing and if they brought him down he'd flop on the floor. They haven't figured out yet that if his energy is high, idle time is the last thing he needs. So I said I would pick him up at 3:30pm instead. That way I'm hoping a quick pass off from his counsellor to me should help.

His counsellor said there were no issues today. They didn't do much socializing because it was a special day for his age group (they were playing a spy game) but Superman played the game and did well on his team which is huge. He couldn't do that last year at all.

Here's hoping for good things tomorrow!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home