My Little Corner of the World

Thoughts on raising and homeschooling a special needs child who has Aspergers, Tourettes, and ADHD. The life of a domestic goddess. Documenting the life of Superman (11 yrs) and Ladybug (4 yrs).

Sunday, March 26, 2006

It's going to be one of those days

Someone stop me before I stick a fork in my eye! The kids woke up at 5:15am and I got very little sleep because Ladybug is obviously training for a breastfeeding marathon (do you need to sport spandex for that? Hmm...I wonder). The kids believe that once the sun is up, they should be too. That theory works well in winter, not so much in Spring.

Superman is a formula child. In order to cope everyday with the challenges he faces, he needs to stick to routine. So he goes to bed and wakes up at the exact same time every day. If that changes by even 15 mins, all hell breaks lost. So today he was up 2 hours earlier than usual. (This is the part where I debate the fork action) and we have a dinner to go to tonight with my in laws.

This is not starting out well. To have a bunch of people in a small space is very overwhelming for him. All of the smells of the food, the chatter of voices, clatter of silverware, the motion of passing dishes....with Superman's form of SID, he can't filter out the different sounds and smells so he experiences all of it all at once and it throws his brain into a tailspin.

Given that he's 7 he doesn't do naps. But I think a little quiet time in bed will be in order. For those of us who's sensory input/output is normal, we take so many things for granted. Superman spends his days just trying to cope.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope the dinner went well. *hug*

5:01 PM  
Blogger Hepzibah The Watchman said...

I read you blog entry and was nodding my head. My 15 year old son has OCD and sensory overload. Many times, I caved to other people's perceptions in certain circumstances. I regret that terribly - but eventually I learned that I must be a support for my son. Thank you for sharing and may God bless you.

4:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home