My Little Corner of the World

Thoughts on raising and homeschooling a special needs child who has Aspergers, Tourettes, and ADHD. The life of a domestic goddess. Documenting the life of Superman (11 yrs) and Ladybug (4 yrs).

Sunday, September 17, 2006

Bright new beginnings

Tomorrow we start our journey at the new school. I can't sleep because I'm so nervous and excited.

On Thursday, DH and I went to the school for a tour and to meet with Superman's new teacher. I was instantly drawn to him. He's open, knowledgable, funny, and so incredibly passionate about the kids in his class.

I knew almost immediately that this is where we're supposed to be. The more he talked, the more excited I got because I finally felt like I was leaving my son with someone who was capable of bringing out the best in him. Some who knew how to handle him in a meltdown, someone who could teach him new tools to handle his challenges, a person who would see his gifts and truly appreciate them. Above all, someone who respected him for who he is and wouldn't try to force him to be like the norm. What an incredible gift that his teacher is all of those things and more.

The entire school has a feeling of inclusiveness and acceptance. ALL of the children are taught that we all have needs that are differnet from our peers and that it's okay to be different and to fulfill those needs. Such a refreshing and positive attitude.

On Friday we took Superman in for his tour and he also loved it. We stayed for almost 90 mins and he saw every room that he would be in. The grade 3 class that he will eventually spend some time in when he integrates, we walked the school yard, the place where he'll be picked up and dropped off, the bathrooms, the gym, the library. He saw it all and he was thrilled.

So now he's fast asleep in bed, very excited for the morning and to be back at school. I know there will be a honeymoon period before some of the transistional issues become apparent.

I hope for the best and now I know that no matter what comes our way, he will be supported and respected at school. That above all, is what matters most. He'll be okay.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home