My Little Corner of the World

Thoughts on raising and homeschooling a special needs child who has Aspergers, Tourettes, and ADHD. The life of a domestic goddess. Documenting the life of Superman (11 yrs) and Ladybug (4 yrs).

Friday, September 01, 2006

Another step forward

I got a call from my friend in SpEd. Superman will not be starting school on the 5th. There's no support or placement for him at this time. Instead, I will be having a meeting next week with the SpEd teacher, SpEd Co-ordinator, the principal and myself.

They want to hear more about Superman and it will also be my opportunity to share with them how the school failed us last year. I can finally tell someone with some sort of power how last years lack of support affected him. That he would throw up from the stress when he got home, how he went from being a child who LOVED school to dreading it. How my whole life had to be put on hold for a year because I never knew when I would get a call from the school and could no follow through with the plans I had for Ladybug and her parks and rec classes. I can tell them how I had a choice to either put Superman in school part time or leave completely. How I was backed into a corner and it should have been a short term solution to give the staff the time to tackle the bigger picture and figure out what isn't working.

Thankfully, my friend is my voice behind closed doors and she knows exactly how I feel. So I'm looking forward to the meeting. After we talk, I should be presented with options for placement.

I'm also working on the letter I'll be sending to the hospital about how THEY dropped the ball and I wouldn't be in this position, without support for Spencer, if they had sent me the report when they said they would.

I just want to get Superman settled so that he can go back to enjoying school and we can all get on with life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home