My Little Corner of the World

Thoughts on raising and homeschooling a special needs child who has Aspergers, Tourettes, and ADHD. The life of a domestic goddess. Documenting the life of Superman (11 yrs) and Ladybug (4 yrs).

Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Good news to report!

Today was our big meeting at the school and it could not have gone any better than it did! Everyone on the team was fabulous. So proactive and enthusiastic.

It opened up with the SpEd Coordinator telling me how proactive and support and patient I've been. I think she may have been sleuthing around and talking to the staff members about me before the meeting and (thankfully) heard nothing but good things.

I loved her right off the bat. She was so genuine and knowledgable and kind hearted. And she knows her stuff. So I did my presentation about Superman and her and the rep from the Autism team were laughing because he's such a blatantly obvious Aspergers kid and they got a chuckle out of his personality quirks.

His EA from last year came as well which was awesome. Her and I always saw eye to eye and worked well together so I loved that she was there to talk about everything Superman...his challenges, triggers, joys, accomplishments, she said it all. So in the end, the team had a very good overview of what he's like.

SpEd Coord said that it's glaringly obvious that he can't be in a mainstream class and she took to heart everything I said about how hard last year was. The Autism Rep also has a boy (who's in his teens) who's Autistic and she said after the meeting (we were chatting outside) how she had to hold back tears when I talked about the phone calls and the stress when the school constantly is after you about your child and you can't do anything about it but constantly come and pick him up and how that affects him. She was in the same boat at one point. So it was really great to get her opinion on what services the board offers not only from a professional standpoint, but also as a parent.

I feel like the hugest weight has been lifted from my shoulders. It's like for the first time in 2 years, I'm able to catch my breath. My neighbour stopped me today to tell me how great I looked when I was walking back from the meeting. That's because I finally feel like I'm not carrying the weight of the world. I have some support to help us with our son.

Finally.

Just got the call an hour ago that it's been confirmed that Superman is being placed in an Aspergers class! That was the best case scenario and it's official! The SpEd Coord met with the teacher and principal at that school, told them all about superman and they said "We want him! He'll be a great fit!"

What a refreshing perspective since I'm so used to hearing, well we don't know, he's got a lot of issues, he needs a lot of support, blah blah blah. She said I'm going to love the school!!

So he'll be bused in, go full days, and stay for lunch. How exciting is that! Now I can spend my days with Ladybug and not have to worry about constant calls from the school because he'll be in a class, with a teacher, who's expertise is Aspie kids.

I couldn't possibly be more thrilled!

1 Comments:

Blogger A proud granddaughter said...

I am over the moon happy for you!!! What wonderful news to get. Superman will finally have the support of the school and you will be able to not have to run defense for him.

11:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home