My Little Corner of the World

Thoughts on raising and homeschooling a special needs child who has Aspergers, Tourettes, and ADHD. The life of a domestic goddess. Documenting the life of Superman (11 yrs) and Ladybug (4 yrs).

Tuesday, August 29, 2006

7 days until school begins...

...and it seems as though not much has changed since last year. I handed in the report but now I'm facing another brick wall. New principal is insisting that Superman be put through to grade 3. But SpEd and I both agree that that would be setting him up for failure. I understand the board of ed's position that kids should be kept with their same age peers regardless, but when a child has only attended school half days and spent the majority of it under his desk crying, it's not wise to push forward. He should repeat the year since he didn't even get an EA until the end of March and wasn't making much progress until the end of April.

So the principal won't guarantee anything. She's calling the Superintendent to get her opinion on it while I'm left in limbo wondering what's in store for him next week.

As of right now he has no EA support and no placement. I refuse to put him through what he went through last year.

If the hospital had done it's job and given me the report when they were supposed to, my child would no be in this position. He absolutely cannot function on a mainstream class without any support. Heck, he struggles in a mainstream class even WITH additional support.

To top it off, the school lost EA hours thanks to the goverment. Nice.

On a good note, camp ended well. Superman was in tears when I had to pick him up on the last day and he cried himself to sleep last night because he misses his friends at camp, but most importantly, he misses Michael, his one to one counsellor. They developed a special bond and Michael told Superman that he would definitely be back next year and he hoped he would be there too.

Superman made him a gift. It was called "Superman's Top 7 Reasons Why Michael Rocks" and it included a picture of himself that we took the day before. Michael told him he would put it on his desk. Superman's #1 reason why Michael rocks? "He makes me feel safe." I also included a letter to Michael telling him how awesome he was with Spencer and how big of an impact he had on him.

Sari knows her counsellors well and she certainly made a wise pick by pairing the two of them together. Even *I* am looking forward to seeing everyone next year. Katie will be old enough for the half day "camper in training" so I'll sign her up for a week of that.

So now we're back to prepping for school. Superman said that now that camp is overwith, it's time to get excited for school and I'm hoping he has something worth being excited over. He used to LOVE school so to see his enthusiasm is to see a glimpse of the old Superman. With everything he was put through last year, he lost that excitement for school and I don't want to see him lose it again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home