My Little Corner of the World

Thoughts on raising and homeschooling a special needs child who has Aspergers, Tourettes, and ADHD. The life of a domestic goddess. Documenting the life of Superman (11 yrs) and Ladybug (4 yrs).

Sunday, October 28, 2007

Grab another cup. I have more to say.

So after 2 mos of stress and waiting for the other shoe to drop...which it did several times....I was given a huge gift in the form of a phone call.

We all know how much I love Mr. S...teacher from last year. And yes I still like to give him a hard time about moving out to BC. But being the fabulous guy that he is, he's made himself available as a sounding board to me since he left. And he also worked behind the scenes to try and set up a bit of support for Superman. Sneaky guy, but bless him for doing so.

He put me in contact with someone that can really help us, his sister J. She is the one who comes in to do workshops with the staff and teach them about the approach that Mr, S uses in the classroom. She's widely respected in the medical community. So the school has been asking her Sueprman specific questions to seek her input but it was unethical for her to comment on them because she didn't know Superman very well, or know his history, or have my permission to advocate for us. So her and Mr. S came up with the idea that if she took me on as a client in her private practice, then she would be able to advocate for us. She called me the other night and we were on the phone for nearly 2 hours. She's just like Mr. S and I LOVE her!! We clicked right away and I feel that she is the perfect professional to work with the school on our behalf. It takes a lot of pressure off of me because she'll be doing the talking and the school will be contacting her for ideas to help Superman instead of relying solely on me. I should see a drastic reduction in phone calls!

She's also going to do a 10 hour neuropsychological assessment on Superman. It will be over the course of 2-3 days and she'll be assessing every part of his brain functioning. She's also doing a 2.5 hour interview with me to go over his entire history from the day he was born until now. Then she'll be interviewing the principal, his teacher, his EA that we love, and Mr. S since he knows Superman so well. She'll put all of that into a very long a detailed report with a ton of reccomendations. She says she writes her reports in English, no talking over the head, no medical jargon etc. She makes it easy to read which will ensure that the school DOES read it. After the report we'll all be sitting down for a meeting to discuss the outcome and make a plan of action. So the meeting takes place first. Then the neuropsych assessment is in February. She's so fabulous about taking us on because she's on mat leave right now until the end of January.I didn't fall asleep until 11pm because my brain was going over everything we talked about and it was all so positive! She said the reason that she wants to do the detailed report is because she want's something in Superman's school file that is positive about the issues that he has. That uses direct quotes from him about how much he wants to be in school but sometimes he gets overwhelmed. Things like that. But I love that she's going to be working with him so intensely that she'll know every little thing about him. Literally, how his brain works.

The amazing thing was that when I finally got to sleep, I was in such a deep sleep and when I woke up, I felt like I had slept for 3 days and I was so well rested and relaxed. I can't remember the last time I felt like that.

Funny thing...we were talking about how much money she could make if we could clone Mr. S since he's so darn good at his job and just as we were in a fit of laughter about it, her phone suddenly died. We decided that was God's way of saying "NO CLONING!" Oh well. Guess she'll just have to make her millions another way.

So I am feeling cautiously optimistic. I have absolute faith in J. Just hoping for more faith in Superman's current teacher. He's going to be given a gift here when he gets that report. I don't want J to do any hand holding. He'll either sink or swim. He'll either get it or he won't. I pray that he does because he certainly has the capabilities but the clincher is that he needs to remember what he's learned when the boys fall apart. That's when you HAVE to be on your game and so far, that's not happening. Time will tell.

2 Comments:

Blogger The J said...

I'm soooo glad there's a new champion in your corner, and you get to relax a little, little bit. That report is going to be some fasinating reading!

Jenna.

10:28 AM  
Blogger A proud granddaughter said...

That is awesome news!

1:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home