My Little Corner of the World

Thoughts on raising and homeschooling a special needs child who has Aspergers, Tourettes, and ADHD. The life of a domestic goddess. Documenting the life of Superman (11 yrs) and Ladybug (4 yrs).

Sunday, October 28, 2007

Grab a coffee. This is a long one.

Thank you to all of the people who have sent me notes, wondering where I've disappeared to and if we're okay. Yes, we're all still hanging in there! I had to walk away for awhile because things at school weren't going so well and I didn't want to come on here and post away with all the negative stuff. Although then I regret that because when I look back at past posts, it's good to see how far we've come. So here's the recap...

Things started off pretty good at school and then it all sort of, well, fell apart pretty rapidly. Superman began the school year very balanced and eager. He was excited to go back. I think the issue, in my opinion, was that the school wasn't really on their game. They were hit with some unexpected problems which sort of spiralled out of control and affected everyone in the Aspergers classroom, not just Superman.

Let's recap the main players.

Mr. M ~ Nice guy. Very eager to learn and is definitely dedicated to the class and to the boys. Has the potential to do great things if he doesn't lose sight of the main goal. This is his first teaching contract so he's pretty green and frankly, he has huge shoes to fill. The problem we've come across with Mr. M is he's all about pushing the curriculm and not realizing that sometimes you have to forget the ABC's and just focus on the needs of the student. I've told him several times that if Superman's anxiety is high, he won't learn a thing. When he can trust the people around him, and he can manage his energy, he can do great things. When things are calm, Mr. M remembers that. When one of the kids starts to melt, he forgets the language and the approach and it all falls apart.

Ms. D ~ The fabulous EA from last year that Superman adores. She can get more out of him than any other person at the school. He trusts her, he works hard for her. Unfortunately Ms. D has extenuating health issues which makes her attendance unreliable at times. When she's out, she's out for very valid reasons. But there's no one to cover for her.

Ms. B - The principal. You don't get any better than her. She thinks outside the box. She wants to mold the program to the student, not the other way around. When she retires she will be greatly missed. Love her.

Ms. W - EA #2. She was awful. Oh wait...was that my outside voice? She transferred in from a local highschool and obviously didn't want to be in the program. She was cold, uninterested, an eye roller and she huffed and puffed a lot when Superman melted. Yeah, that's going to help *insert my own little eye roll here* I'm sure she's a really nice woman, just not a fit for these boys. Obviously she realized that and she left. With one days notice.

Ms. E - EA #3. She lasted 6 days then stopped showing up for work. Nice. Oddly enough it wasn't due to Superman. She bonded well with him but it was the other boys who wouldn't give her the time of day. Can you blame them? People are coming in and out of that classroom like a revolving door. Plus, they're edging on 10. They're more horomonal this year and if they don't know you, they'll give you a run for your money. This puts Ms. D (dream EA) in one heck of a position because she's the only one they know well outside of the teacher so she's constantly pulled in a variety of directions.

Then there's the VP of the school. I've found that I can only be in her presence a very short period of time before I feel like I'm going to lose it. She has no clue about how to work with these boys. One day I show up to pick up Superman early because he has an appointment with his developmental pediatrician so his anxiety has been high all day because he knows he's going hom an hour early and frankly, he doesn't like it.

So he's in the little room (he's 1:1 with his EA in a library storage room because being in the Aspergers class is overstimulating right now and they have no other rooms availble). Anyway...so there is his wrapped up in his weighted blanket, obviously been crying for awhile. Ms. D left to be with Katie when I got there so I could transistion Superman out easily. Sitting there is also the VP, who wouldn't leave. And just when I would get Superman settled and we could move out of the room, she pestered him with question after question after question...would you like to bring your lunch? Do you want it in the bag? Or your backpack? Can you pick up your backpack? Where do I put this? Should I give it to Ms. B or put it in the drawer? Why are you crying again? Cripes lady! Shut up. (no, I didn't say that. It was my inside voice but I was ready but I was doing the respectful route blah blah blah) and so it continued until I interrupted her and just told Superman to come with me. The moment I walked out of the school, I turned to Ms. D and she said "I know." Ha! Please dear lord do not let that VP be the one to take over the school when Ms. B retires. I'll faint.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home