My Little Corner of the World

Thoughts on raising and homeschooling a special needs child who has Aspergers, Tourettes, and ADHD. The life of a domestic goddess. Documenting the life of Superman (11 yrs) and Ladybug (4 yrs).

Sunday, June 25, 2006

Motherhood is kicking my butt

Oh, where to start. It's been awhile...

The diagnosis marathon ~ May 25 was the grand finale to the diagnosis treadmill we've been running on. That constant feeling like you're running your heart out and yet still don't seem to be going anywhere. All in all, fantastic appointment. Final diagnosis for Superman is Autistic Spectrum Disorder, specifically Aspergers and co-morbid with high anxiety. Nothing shocking there. Dr. assures me the report will be in my hot little hands within 2-3 weeks. We have a nice little chat about how it's imperative that it not being longer than that because he we can't access services for him in the next school year without it. I leave feeling hopeful and dutifully check my mailbox daily.

Fast forward a month later and still no report. I faithfully call the doctor on a regular basis to leave a message asking her to return my calls because I need something from her in writing just stating that he has X and report to follow because that is enough for the school to start the paper work process to get him on the lists for various services for the Fall. Of course, she doesn't return my calls. Grrr.

So I am currently up a creek without a paddle and have several people at the school breathing down my neck asking for the report. Geez people. When the damn report arrives, you will be the second the know. The first to know will be me because I will be the one pulling it out of the mailbox. So until that happens, there's not a damn thing that I can do!

Birthday parties are not all they're cracked up to be ~ Superman went to a friend's 7th birthday party yesterday. First hour was swimming. He did great. Second hour was eating, he did great. Third hour was games, he lost it. Unfortunately, I had a previous committment that I couldn't get out of so DH had to take the kids over.

I'm the one who takes Superman to social things about 98% of the time so this would be a first for both of them. By the fourth meltdown, DH finally pulled him and brought him home. He's slowly learning Superman's cues about when he's had enough and needs someone to step in for him. I know to shadow him, help him transistion, when to explain things and when to step back. That is something DH is still trying to learn. It's hard when we only have him home for part of Saturday and about an hour and a half on Thursday. You can't learn much about kids in such a short period of time.

But it was good that this happened with DH at the helm and me not there to step in. He was forced to deal with it and after calling me on my cell so we could talk about what happened, he handled it very well. Unfortunately, he left all of our stuff and his running shoes at the neighbours house. Must go pick those up today.

Some days I feel like I've been hit by a truck. I'm so tired from trying to stay one step ahead of Superman and help the world make sense to him. Then you throw a toddler into the mix and you have a rather tired looking mum, a lot of toys strewn on the floor and not enough hours in the day to get everything done.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there, I am on the Sensory Integration site with you on Yahoo. I saw you link and decided to check it out. I can so relate. I feel the same way, exhausted, trying to do what's best but usually so wiped out I don't know whether I am coming or going. Man, this motherhood thing is not for wimps. Hang in there! - Terri

5:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home