My Little Corner of the World

Thoughts on raising and homeschooling a special needs child who has Aspergers, Tourettes, and ADHD. The life of a domestic goddess. Documenting the life of Superman (11 yrs) and Ladybug (4 yrs).

Sunday, August 06, 2006

Why oh why oh why....

...do I choose to shop at a place like Wal-Mart on Sunday afternoon? I swear the whole city was there and they had 3 cashiers open. If I had known it would be like that, I would have brought my tent and some snacks to camp out during our wait in the check out line. ;)

Murphy's Law says that things like this will take place on a day when you absolutely have to be there, no choice about any other day to go and the only place that has what you need is the very store that 98809820 other people choose to shop at all at the same time.

We needed goggles for Superman to take to camp on Tuesday and so far Wal-Mart is the only place that has his size. Well, they didn't even have his size, so I had to go one smaller and pray that it does the trick until I find the right one. If he wears goggles, he's so ambitious during his swim lessons. On Friday, the pair that the camp had leaked while he was underwater and he freaked.

Then I realized that our beloved bunny, Ella can't live without her bunny food and really shouldn't spend a second day eating Cheerios because I forgot to buy food. ;)

So off we treked through the crowd of elbows, carts and other frustrated parents and kids. I felt like I was the side show in a three ring circus as I hunted for the things I needed while reminding my 15 mos old to sit on her bum (she loves this whole "Hey! Look at me! I can stand in the cart!" routine) while calming my 7 year old who is crouched in the cart and trying to hold it together but feeling more and more overwhelmed.

I keep forgetting sometimes how many times I use phrasing that Superman will take literally, and not understand. Like when we were waiting in line and I whispered to him "Honey, just hold it together for 5 more minutes and then we'll be done and go straight home. You're doing SO well!" to which he replied "Thanks. I don't know what I'm holding together but am I allowed to let it fall apart when we're outside?" LOL

Ahhh...the hidden joys of Aspergers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home