My Little Corner of the World

Thoughts on raising and homeschooling a special needs child who has Aspergers, Tourettes, and ADHD. The life of a domestic goddess. Documenting the life of Superman (11 yrs) and Ladybug (4 yrs).

Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Finding happiness in the little things

It's been an interesting couple of days. Superman has had some crazy meltdowns but he's also had some incredible moments of flexibility and problem solving. I find that the hardest part to being the parent of an autistic child is the lack of predictability. You never know when you'll find yourself in a crisis situation.

I'm reading a book right now called "More Than A Mom" and it's about finding a balance in your life when you're the mother of a special needs child. I love it. It's my second beside bible so to speak. It reminds me what that I have to put myself on my own to do list because it's so easy to get caught up in your childs needs and issues that you never make time to fulfill your own needs.

My health has been touch and go for the past month. To much stress, not enough sleep, not enough down time.

Christmas is always crazy around here. Lots of family birthdays in November, then Christmas, then New Years. I feel that we can finally breathe when February hits.

Ladybug is getting cuter by the day. Her cousin turns 2 tomorrow and they had a party on the weekend. I loved watching her run around and get excited by the balloons, when she saw her cousin, when we went swimming in the pool. Good times.

HB and I are doing well. We're trading off who's at home and who's going out to do whatever. But we rarely have time to ourselves that isn't interrupted by work or kids. That will hopefully change in the spring. We're flying my Mum up for a few weeks and I told HB we're going to Vegas for 3 nights. We need it. We deserve it. I think our marriage has never been better than it is right now. It feels good.

It's almost time to leave to get Superman so I should sign off. I'm just trying to take one day at a time. Can't handle too much more than that at the moment. We've got a lot of things that will be happening soon in terms of more medical care and therapys for Superman so I'm trying to make sure we've got our bases covered and keep on top of other people who are involved to make sure they're doing their job as well. I filled out paperwork for one of the clinics we've been referred to and there were 52 pages! Most pages had at least 20 questions on them. My brain hurt by the time I was done. ;)

3 Comments:

Blogger Maddy said...

Thanks for adding to my 'must read' list. As for the filling out of forms, I'm right there with you on that one - spent ages with the school psychologist yesterday for just one of the boys profiles - exhausting.
Have a great evening. Best wishes
http://whitterer-autism.blogspot.com

3:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was in Chapters last week looking through the same book. A lady next to me was looking through the same book. She asked if I had a special needs child. I told her I had a son with AS and she burst into tears, she told me her difficulties with the school and she was thinking of home schooling. We talked for an hour!
When I went to order Tony Attwoods new book, there were already 5 people waiting for it. It breaks my heart to know so many people out there are suffering, but it also gives me hope to know that there is strenth in numbers, and things have to start changing for the better!
Deb xx

9:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home