My Little Corner of the World

Thoughts on raising and homeschooling a special needs child who has Aspergers, Tourettes, and ADHD. The life of a domestic goddess. Documenting the life of Superman (11 yrs) and Ladybug (4 yrs).

Sunday, November 04, 2007

An interesting realization

Superman had another big meltdown last night and one again this morning. They seem to be centered around HB and I'm still trying to figure out why. It's interesting because Superman's expressive language is quite vast. But his receptive language is really deficient. So what that boils down to is he has a really big vocabulary and he uses it well (some days it feels nonstop) but when you speak to him he doesn't comprehend as much as you think he does. For instance, I can ramble on about something and he'll only pick out a few of the words and draw his own conclusion from them. Most times he's off base. He also needs anywhere between 30-60 seconds to hear what you've said, process it, forumulate a response/reaction, and then respond. If you keep interjecting and repeating and repeating, you through off his cycle and he has to start all over again. This is a point that I'm finding difficult to help other people understand. I usually hear comments about "well he's smarter than you think" or "he's trying to get away with things." etc. It's become a rather sore spot with me.

The other thing I've noticed is that when his medicine is almost empty (it's an anti-anxiety med in liquid form) he has real problems with his anxiety. So it occurred to me that the last bits left in the bottle are not full strength. As soon as he starts on his new bottle, he's great. I'm documenting this simply because I'll forget about that interesting little tidbit and it's good to look back on. Sure enough we're down to the last of his bottle and we've had two tough days.

J - Thanks for being so supportive. You know me well. I do kick myself for missing the cues. I know I'm human and I can only do so much, but I'm hard on myself that way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home